Virginia AHGP Information


Petersburg




Petersburg, post borough, port of entry, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on the south bank of Appomattox river, 12 miles above its entrance into James river, at City Point, in 37 13' 54" north latitude and 77 20' west longitude, 23 south by east Richmond, 140 Washington City. Population 1830, 8,322; 1840, 11,136. The river is navigable to this place for vessels of 100 tons, and the falls immediately above it afford an extensive water power. A canal is cut round these falls for the purpose of navigation. The borough contains, besides Petersburg, the village of Blandford, in Prince George County, and of Pocahontas, in Chesterfield County. It has a court house, jail, Masonic hall, 2 banks, and an insurance office. It has 7 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, and 2 African. The great southern chain of railroads passes through it, and adds to its importance. It is one of the handsomest and most commercial towns in the state, and exports largely tobacco and flour. The tonnage in 1840, was 3,098. There were 6 commercial and 8 commission houses engaged in foreign trade, capital $875,000; 121 retail stores, capital $1,020,250; 2 lumber yards, capital $6,000; 1 furnace, 6 forges, 1 woolen factory, 2 cotton factories 7,520 sp., 1 pottery, 2 ropewalks, 2 flouring mills, 1 grist mill, 2 saw mills, 2 printing offices, 1 semi-weekly newspaper. Capital in manufactures, $726,555. 8 academies 386 students, 7 schools 125 scholars. In July, 1815, a disastrous fire destroyed 400 buildings, and property estimated at $2,000,000. It has been rebuilt in an improved form, with three story brick buildings.
Read More about Virginia, and other States, Counties and towns


Back


This page was last updated Saturday, 17-May-2014 08:42:26 EDT.
Copyright © 2014~2017 by The Virginia American History and Genealogy Project