Virginia AHGP Information


Norfolk




Norfolk, post borough, port of entry, and capital of Norfolk County, Virginia, on the north east bank of Elizabeth river, just below the confluence of its 2 branches, 8 miles above its entrance into Hampton roads, and 32 miles from the ocean, 110, by water, below City point, 106 east south east Richmond, 230 Washington City. 36 50' 50" north latitude, and 76 18' 47" west longitude. The situation is low, the streets are crooked and irregular, and most of the houses are not remarkable for elegance. It has a court house, jail, a market house, a theatre, 2 banks, 2 insurance offices, an academy, an orphan asylum, an atheneum, with a respectable library, and, in the vicinity, a marine hospital, and a United States navy yard. At the latter is a dry dock, constructed of hewn granite, which cost $974,536. There are 8 churches--2 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 2 Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 African. The harbor is spacious and safe, having 18 feet water. The entrance to it is over a mile wide, and is defended by forts Monroe and Calhoun. It has more foreign commerce than any other place in the state. The tonnage in 1840 was 19,079. The Dismal Swamp canal connects Chesapeake bay with Albemarle sound, and opens an extensive water communication from Norfolk to the south. There were in this place in 1840, 8 foreign commercial and 8 commission houses, capital $202,000; 35 retail stores, capital $1,590,500; 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 daily and 1 semi-weekly newspapers. Capital in manufactures $178,300. 18 academies 515 students, 17 schools 604 scholars. Population 1830, 9,816; 1840, 10,920.
Read More about Virginia, and other States, Counties and towns


Back


This page was last updated Saturday, 17-May-2014 08:42:26 EDT.
Copyright © 2014~2017 by The Virginia American History and Genealogy Project