Virginia AHGP Information


Fredericksburg




Fredericksburg, city, Spottsylvania County, Virginia, is situated on the south west side of Rappahannock river, 110 miles above the Chesapeake, in 38 44' north latitude, and 77 38' west Iongitude 66 east of north Richmond, 56 miles south west Washington City. Population 1830, 3,307; 1840, 3,974. The city is regularly laid out, and presents a beautiful appearance from the heights by which it is surrounded. It has a court house, jail, county offices, a market, and 5 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Re-formed Baptist. It is supplied with excellent water from the Rappahannock, in pipes, laid by a joint-stock co. The falls of the Rappahannock, in the vicinity, afford good water power. It has a flourishing trade, exporting grain, flour, tobacco, Indian corn, etc. Its exports have been computed at over $4,000,000 annually. It was named in honor of Prince Frederick, father of George III. There were in 1810, 73 stores, capital $357,961; 2 tanneries, paints, drugs, etc., capital $37,000; 1 grist mill, 2 printing offices, 4 semi-weekly newspapers. Capital in manufactures $141,200. 5 academies 256 students, 7 schools 156 scholars.
Read More about Virginia, and other States, Counties and towns


Back


This page was last updated Saturday, 17-May-2014 08:42:23 EDT.
Copyright © 2014~2017 by The Virginia American History and Genealogy Project